Contacting the local Foreigners' Office and providing documents and information is a must for every international student. They are legally entitled to end your stay in Germany and can ask you to leave the country if you do not follow guidelines and cannot provide proofs/documents requested of you.


Any change in your status has to be reported to the Foreigners' Office of your place of residence in Germany.

Contact them, if you have

  • Moved house / changed your address in Germany

  • Want to change your degree programm in Germany

  • Want to change your university in Germany

  • De-registered from your university in Germany (Exmatrikulation)

  • Have received a new passport


In most cases you will have to go to the Foreigners' Office in person.

Advice may be offered by phone / email, but applications are only processed with you there at the Office.

Do not miss appointments made, either by you or when you are asked to come to the Office.

If you cannot make it to the appointment, immediately contact the Foreigners' Office and try to get an alternative appointment.

You need to make copies of all documents required before going to the Foreigners' Office.

You need to be prepared to understand staff at the Foreigners' Office speaking German.

Do not expect to get a full conversation in English.


Please contact the International Office for student support, if you have not been assigned a tutor or buddy for your first semester at Anhalt:

(Campus Bernburger Straße, Köthen, Building 03, room 117, Mon-Fri 9.00 – 17.00 hrs.)