If you have been issued with an entry visa for Germany in your home country, this allows you usually to stay in Germany for 90 days (3 months).
You have to apply for a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) within these 90 days at the local Foreigners' Office (Ausländerbehörde).
Your application for a residence permit will take at least 4 weeks, sometimes 6 weeks.
Therefore: Hand in the application form and all documents required with it 4-6 weeks before your entry visa becomes invalid.
If you are not able to get everything ready in time, contact the Foreigners' Office and tell them about it.
Application forms for residence permits are handed out at Bernburg Foreigners’ Office. Please contact Mr Anand Jayakrishnan if you need an appointment at the Foreigners' Office.
(+49 3471 355 1325 – a.jayakrishnanwi.hs-anhalt.de).
You need to bring:
1) Residence permit application form (Antrag auf Erteilung einer Aufenthaltserlaubnis).
2) 2x biometric, passport-sized photos
3) Passport (original and copy of photo-page)
4) Student ID or registration certificate (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung) of Anhalt University (original and copy)
5) Proof of sufficient health insurance cover in Germany
6) Signed form by your landlord in Germany / your rental contract
7) Proof of sufficient financial means as student in Germany – For more details click here
Processing your application for a residence permit is charged as follows:
Applications for residence permits of up to one year validity (< 1 year): € 100
Applications for residence permits of more than one year validity (> 1 year): € 110
Extending residence permits: € 80
You need to pay in cash. Bank transfer or Visa card are not possible.
If you receive a scholarship that is paid through German public money, you will not have to pay the charges. You need to provide a scholarship certificate. Contact the Foreigners' Office and make sure that this holds true for you.