Non-EU student

If you have been issued with an entry visa for Germany in your home country, this usually allows you to stay in Germany for 90 days (3 months).

You have to apply for a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) within these 90 days at the local Foreigners' Office (Ausländerbehörde).

Your application for a residence permit will take at least 4 weeks, sometimes 6 weeks.

Therefore: Hand in the application form and all documents required with it 4-6 weeks before your entry visa becomes invalid.

In case your visa or the residence permit is expired by the time of the registration at the Foreigner's office, you will get a so called "probationary permit certificate" (German: Fiktionsbescheinigung). This proves your legal stay in Germany until you get the permanent residence permit.   

If you are not able to get everything ready in time, contact the Foreigners' Office and tell them about it.

Application forms for residence permits are handed out at Köthen Foreigners’ Office.

You may also contact

International Office

Bernburger Straße 55, 06366 Köthen

Ph. +49 3496 67 5101 –

(building 3, room 117)


You need to bring:


1) Residence permit application form (Antrag auf Erteilung einer Aufenthaltserlaubnis).

2) 2x biometric, passport-sized photos

3) Passport (original and copy of photo-page)

4) Student ID  or registration certificate (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung) of Anhalt University (original and copy)

5) Proof of sufficient health insurance cover in Germany

6) Signed form by your landlord in Germany / your rental contract

7) Proof of sufficient financial means as student in Germany – For more details click here




Processing your application for a residence permit is charged as follows:

Applications for residence permits of up to one year validity (< 1 year): € 100

Applications for residence permits of more than one year validity (> 1 year): € 110

Extending residence permits: € 80


You need to pay in cash or with EC bank card. Bank transfer or Visa card are not possible.



If you receive a scholarship that is paid through German public money, you will not have to pay the charges. You need to provide a scholarship certificate. Contact the Foreigners' Office and make sure that this holds true for you.