Anhalt University of Applied Sciences – Information on the Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2)
Last updated: April 3, 2020
Following the decision of the Saxony-Anhalt Ministry of Economy, Science and Digitalisation, all universities in Saxony-Anhalt have postponed the start of lectures in the summer semester. Examinations to be held at the universities have also been postponed. At Anhalt University of Applied Sciences, courses are scheduled to start on April 20, 2020. Further information to follow.
- Effective immediately, all courses at Anhalt University are suspended.
- Scheduled examinations are being postponed.
- Lectures, practical courses and events are suspended until further notice.
In order to keep the disadvantages that might arise from the delay to a minimum, appropriate steps – such as alternative examination dates – will be taken up over the course of the coming days and weeks.
The following facilities of Anhalt University of Applied Sciences are closed on all campuses to students and visitors until April 19, 2020:
- University Library,
- Student Service Center,
- IT Service Center,
- Preparatory School (Landesstudienkolleg),
- International Office,
- University sports,
- Center for Research and Technology Transfer,
- Anhalt Center for Continuing Education,
- Anhalt University Center for Entrepreneurship
- Dean’s Offices
- as well as workshops and labs.
If you have any questions, please contact the respective contact persons by phone or e-mail.
Students and prospective students: Search our FAQ for up-to-date information on the current corona pandemic.
In order to assess the developments around the topic "coronavirus", the University Management is in close contact with the occupational doctor (Betriebsarzt), the Public Health Offices and the Saxony-Anhalt Ministry of Economics, Science and Digitisation and they coordinate with each other on a daily basis.
The University Management has developed a catalogue of measures. The website listing this information is continuously updated on the basis of the travel and security information provided by the Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt/AA) and the Federal Ministry of Health (Bundesministerium für Gesundheit).
We recommend that staff and students of Anhalt University regularly check the websites of the Federal Foreign Office (AA), of the Federal Ministry of Health and the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for up-to-date information. The Saxony-Anhalt Public Health Offices have also set up telephone hotlines.
The German Robert Koch Institute provides up-to-date health risk assessments for the population in Germany, an overview of international risk areas and of areas particularly affected in Germany: www.rki.de/covid-19
As with influenza and other acute respiratory tract infections, hygiene regulations are to be observed. In addition to this, the University Management recommends to avoid shaking hands.
Teaching and examination operations
The following derogation (Ausnahmeregelung) applies to final thesis colloquia for master‘s, bachelor‘s and diploma theses scheduled between March 16, 2020 and March 31, 2020:
This derogation does not apply to types of assessed coursework/examinations which by nature do not affect health and safety, in particular types of work not requiring physical presence, e.g. online tests and written types of work (term papers/Hausarbeit, paper/Beleg, seminar papers or final theses etc.). Regulations stipulated in the respective degree program and examination regulations apply.
Complement of March 20, 2020:
Please note the complement to the derogation. This contains additional information on conducting final colloquia and on the recognition of internships (Berufspraktika) which had to be terminated due to the current exceptional circumstances.
Derogations for teaching and examination operations at Anhalt University of Applied Sciences starting April 20, 2020
The derogation for conducting a master's, bachelor's and diploma colloquium at Anhalt University of Applied Sciences (Ausnahmeregelung Abschlusskolloquium) of March 16, 2020 and the first complement to this derogation (1. Ergänzung) of March 20, 2020 remain in force until April 19, 2020. With effect from April 20, 2020 they cease to be in force. Starting April 20, 2020, teaching and examinations at Anhalt University will follow a flexible schedule so as to enable students to attend and complete all courses scheduled for the entire academic year 2020-2021 (both summer and winter semester). For more information on what is planned for the summer semester, on examinations and submission deadlines for final theses as well as the career-integrated degree programs see the Decision of the Board of Management of Anhalt University of Applied Sciences of March 30, 2020:
Have you recently returned from one of the risk areas and you have examinations scheduled for the March 2020 examination period:
- Please stay away from the university campus for a period of two weeks.
- Avoid unnecessary contact with other people.
- Inform the Office of the Registrar (Prüfungsamt) at Anhalt University‘s Student Service Center (SSC) of your absence: ssc(at)hs-anhalt.de
or by phone:
- Campus Bernburg: +49 (0) 3471 355 5219
- Campus Dessau: +49 (0) 340 5197 5215
- Campus Köthen: +49 (0) 3496 67 5220
Contact to the International Office by telephone at +49 (0) 3496 67 5114 or by e-mail
Anhalt University staff having to ensure child care due to the COVID-19-related closure (preventive measures) of schools, day care centers and after schools facilities have the following options:
- Considering home-office / telework-options: The final decision lies with the dean of the department / head of organizational unit (Struktureinheit) the member of staff in question is part of. The respective dean / head will inform Anhalt University‘s Human Resources division (Dezernat Personalangelegenheiten) about the individual arrangements and the personal details of the members of staff involved (email to: buero.dpa(at)hs-anhalt.de).
- If home-office / telework is NOT an option: Taking up to 10 days off work with continued payment of remuneration (Entgeltfortzahlung). For civil servants (Beamte) this arrangements allows for an absence from work for up to 10 days. Civil servants making use of this are considered excused for this period.
The following preconditions have to be met:
- the children in need of care are 11 years of age maximum
- proof of closure of school/day care center/after school club has been provided (e.g. providing the official statement of closure issued by the facility/the local community)
- no other carer is available.
- For Part-time staff and staff working fewer than five days/week: The number of days that may be taken off is reduced accordingly.
Should you wish to take time off work for up to 10 days please contact Anhalt University‘s Human Resources division (Dezernat Personalangelegenheiten):
phone: +49 (0)3496 67 4100
Further questions may also be addressed to staff at Anhalt University‘s Human Resources division (Dezernat Personalangelegenheiten)
Anhalt University staff returning from risk areas or whose return is imminent are directed:
- to contact the Head of Human Resources Andreas Severin by telephone
+49 (0) 3496 67 4101 or by e-mail and stay away from the university campus for a period of two weeks.
- In addition, the further procedure must be coordinated with your line manager (Dienstvorgesetzte/r). Among other things, it should be checked whether tasks can be completed in the home office during this time.
Observe the following to avoid the spread of communicable respiratory diseases:
Wash your hands frequently:
Wash your hands when returning home; after using the toilet, changing diapers or if you have helped your child using the toilet; after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing; after contact with waste, with animals, animal food or animal waste; before meals and handling medicines or cosmetics.
Practice respiratory hygiene:
When coughing or sneezing, maintain at least one meter (3 feet) distance between yourself and other people and also turn away from others. It is best to sneeze or cough into a disposable tissue. Use this only once and then immediately dispose of it in a bin with a lid. Used handkerchiefs (reusable) should be washed at 60°C. Maintain distance between yourself and sick people. In view of the wave of influenza, these measures should be followed everywhere and at all times.
Business Trips (Dienstreisen)
Until further notice and based on the assessment of Federal Foreign Office (AA) and the RKI, business trips to risk areas in China (all regions) are prohibited. Approvals for business trips to risk areas are to be revoked.
Business trip costs not refunded to the staff despite cancellation will be covered by Anhalt University of Applied Sciences. For this purpose, send an informal application for reimbursement to Anhalt University’s Travel Expenses Office (Reisekostenstelle). Contact person: Mr Andreas Severin (Head of Human Resources).
You may also contact Mr Andreas Severin for a case-based assessment of postponing / cancelling business trips to countries and regions currently not listed as risk areas but with cases of the disease.
Events at Anhalt University of Applied Sciences
Currently and until further notice, no visitors from risk areas as defined by the Federal Foreign Office AA and the RKI may be welcomed at Anhalt University. We kindly ask everyone expecting visitors from risk areas to cancel those stays. This follows a duty of care - also towards other staff and students of Anhalt University.