Research Assistant Ecology (m/f/d), Number 244
Welcome to Anhalt University of Applied Sciences, one of the leading research universities in in Saxony-Anhalt. Located in the heart of Central Germany and as one of Germany’s ‘Innovative Universities’, Anhalt University combines international-level research and teaching with excellent study and living conditions.
With more than 80 degree programs, we provide students with the freedom to develop their own personalities. Most importantly, we prepare about 8,000 German and international students for a successful career start.
At the Department of Agriculture, Ecotrophology and Landscape Development of the Anhalt University of Applied Sciences, Campus Bernburg, at the chair of Vegetation Science and Landscape Planning, is a vacancy for a third party funded PhD part-time position (65%) earliest 01.11.2021 and for a limited period of three years.
Research Assistant Ecology (m/f/d), Number 244
The employment relationship is based on the collective agreement for the public service of the federal states. The appointment is made in pay group 13 of the TV-L.
The Grassworks project is part of the BMBF research initiative on the conservation of biodiversity (FEdA). In the Grassworks project, a transdisciplinary team of scientists and practitioners will assess implementation deficits in the restoration of multifunctional grasslands in three model regions of Germany, analyse interdependencies at ecosystem and landscape level, and identify socio-ecological control variables. The central question is when and under which conditions the restoration of species-rich grassland is successful and when it is not.
One aspect of the project is a post-hoc survey of restoration sites of different ages, negative and positive reference sites and their ecological, socio-ecological and socio-economic evaluation.
Your tasks will include:
• selection of study sites on restored, degraded and original grassland areas in central Germany together with the project
• field surveys of biodiversity and habitat data regarding vegetation, butterflies, and wild bees on the study sites (a specialist
will assist in wild bee identification)
• support of the socio-ecological and socio-economic data collection from practice and cooperation partners
• evaluation and publication of the results in close cooperation with the project partners at the University of Lüneburg and
the Technical University of Munich
• presentation of the results at workshops and conferences
As part of the assigned tasks, the opportunity for scientific work is offered.
• academic degree (diploma or master's degree) in ecology, nature conservation, landscape planning or related disciplines
• good knowledge in vascular plants of grassland and at least in one of the following insect groups: butterflies, wild bees
• practical experience in the collection of field data
• good knowledge of GIS and statistical data analysis (preferably R)
• fluent command of the English language, both written and spoken
• German language skills will be appreciated
• driving licence and willingness to use the private car for work purposes
• a high level of commitment, stress resistance and the ability to work in a team
• a creative, analytical and critical mind
• an independent and structured work style
You can expect:
• participation in an exciting interdisciplinary research project with high practical relevance
• support and promotion of your PhD, based on quality assurance of your PhD work through regular networking meetings and
feedback sessions at the Graduate Academy and the PhD Centre
• direct supervision by an experienced scientist
• excellent research opportunities in a creative and very well equipped working environment
• support services for work-life balance, such as employee child office, emergency care, life situation coaching, child care as
well as consulting services in the field of home and eldercare
Any questions about this position will be answered by:
Prof. Dr. Anita Kirmer
Anhalt University of Applied Sciences strives to increase the career opportunities of women. Women are therefore expressly encouraged to apply. For severely disabled persons, the provisions of SGB IX apply in the case of equal suitability, ability and professional performance.
Please use the online portal of the Anhalt University of Applied Sciences for your application. You can submit your application until 19.09.2021 under the following link:
By clicking on the link, you agree to the storage and processing of your data for the purpose of the application procedure. Application costs will not be reimbursed.
Your documents/data will be deleted or destroyed in accordance with data protection regulations once the recruitment process has been completed. Please understand that we cannot assume any costs incurred on the occasion of the application or in connection with the performance of interviews at our company.