After your Arrival

Formalities and first Steps

  • Welcome Guide

    'Welcome Guides' demonstrate intercultural openess

    More than half of the students on the Dessau campus have an international background. It is therefore not surprising that this is also where international students are engaged in supporting other people from abroad who are coming to stay and study in Dessau. 

    In cooperation with the Integration Bureau of the city of Dessau-Roßlau as well as the St. Johannis GmbH, the students of the Anhalt University of Applied Sciences subsequently researched and designed the so-called 'Willkommenskompass' (Welcome Guide), which is essentially a multi-lingual guide for people who are new to Dessau-Roßlau. 

    The guide features guidance and advice for everyday life in the city as well as establishes an overview of the various support services and institutions the city has to offer.

    The Willkommenskompass is already available in four languages and is scheduled to get translated into even more languages.

    To download the guide please click here.

  • Registration with the City

    Within 14 days after their arrival in Germany and before enrollment, all students must register with the registration office of the city they will live in in the future.

    Usually the following papers will be required:

    • Registration form - available at the registration office
    • Landlord certificate from the landlord / dormitory - also from the registration Office (for Dessau click here)
    • Passport

    You only can register with a fixed address, a youth hostel or pension does not count.
    You will find contact details and opening hours of the registration authorities here.


    Registration Office Bernburg

    Schlossgartenstraße 16, 06406 Bernburg

    Telephone: 03471 6590

    Opening Hours:

    Monday, Wednesday and Friday: 09:00-12:00
    Tuesday: 09:00-12:00, 14:00-18:00
    Thursday: 09:00-12:00, 14:00-16:00

    City Registration Dessau >>Click here to make an appointment<<

    Zerbster Straße 4, 06844 Dessau-Roßlau

    Telephone: 0340 204-1031


    Opening Hours:
    08.00 - 12.00 und 13.30 - 16.00
    Tuesday and Thursday:
    08.00 - 12.00 und 13.30 - 18.00
    Wednesday and Friday:
    08.00 - 12.00
    08.00 - 12.00 
    *Every 1st Saturday in a month (without appointment)

    City Registration Köthen >>Click here to make an appointment<<

    Wallstraße 1-5, 06366 Köthen

    Telephone: 03496 425205


    Opening Hours:

    Monday 9:00-12:00
    Tuesday 9:00-12:00 and 14:00-18:00
    Wednesday -closed
    Thursday 9:00-12:00 and 14:00-17:00
    Friday -closed and by appointment only

  • German bank account

    It is recommendable to open a German bank account. It will be needed quite often: to transfer the tuition, the rent, the health insurance contribution, etc. You can open a bank account at any German commercial bank. Please ask if the bank charges fees for opening or maintaining the account or issuing a debit card.


    Usually the following papers will be required:


    •       Passport

    •       Charge for account opening

    •       Certificate of registration issued by the city registration
  • Residence permit (students from non-EU countries)

    If you have received your visa for Germany from your home country, you are entitled to stay in Germany for 90 days (3 months). You must then submit an application for a residence permit to the immigration office within this 90 days.

    The application for the residence permit can take up to 4 weeks, sometimes 6 weeks. Therefore you must submit all necessary documents 4-6 weeks before your visa expires.

    If you can not submit everything in time, contact the immigration office immediately and inform them. Submit the application for residence permit to the respective immigration office:

    Bernburg, Dessau, Köthen

    When you have registered with the Foreigners Registration Office, you will receive a certificate of residence (certificate of freedom of movement / residence card).
    Within 3 months of entry you must prove that your entry and residence are legal and that you can take advantage of the right of free movement.
    For the application you must submit:

    •     The completed application for a residence permit

    •     Your current and valid passport

    •     1 current biometric photo (this must not be older than 6 months)

    •     The certificate of enrollment from Anhalt University of Applied Sciences

    •      Proof of existing health insurance coverage (for example European Health Insurance Card)

    •      A statement proving that you possess the necessary financial means to financially support  yourself during your stay in Germany

    Possible options for that are:

    1. Proof of a blocked account (e.g. for a 12-month visa you need to provide 10.332€ in the account, of which 861€ are at your free disposal every month.)  or

    2. Proof of a declaration of obligation in accordance with §68 Auftenthaltsgesetz, issued by a foreigners office

    The opening of the blocked account should be processed before entering the country and may include additional cost. allyWays -for example offers an affordable 3-in-1-package consisting of blocked account, health insurance and travel insurance.

    Your entry visa is valid for a maximum of three months. For the duration of your study stay in Germany, you must apply for a residence permit at the Foreigners Immigration Office.

    If all the information and documents are available, the processing and issuing of the electronic residence permit take at least 3-4 weeks. Please keep that in mind when you receive your entry visa.

    If your visa expires and your residence permit has not yet been issued, you are staying in Germany illegally. Therefore please apply for a residence permit not later than 14 days after your arrival in Germany.


    Foreigners Office Bernburg

    Friedensallee 25, 06406 Bernburg

    Tel: +49 3471 6841316

    Opening Hours:

    Tuesday: 09:00-12:00, 14:00-18:00

    Thursday: 09:00-12:00 and 14:00-16:00

    Friday: 09:00-12:00


    Foreigners Office Dessau

    Zerbster Straße 4, 06844 Dessau-Roßlau

    Tel: +49 340 204 2033

    Opening Hours:

    Tuesday: 08:00-12:00 and 13:30-17:30

    Thursday: 08:00-12:00 and 13:30-15:30


    Foreigners Office Köthen

    Am Flugplatz 1, 06366 Köthen

    Tel: Reception: 03496 601521; +49 3496 601513, -1514, -1509

    Opening Hours:

    PLEASE NOTE: Students on an Appointment-Basis only

    Tuesday: 09:00-12:00 and 14:00-18:00

    Thursday: 09:00-12:00 and 14:00-17:00

    Friday: 09:00-12:00


    Costs of applying for a residence permit:

    Application for residence permit: 100 €

    Extension of the residence permit: 96 €

    Cash only.


    If you are a recipient of a scholarship from public funds then these fees are eliminated. You must show the scholarship certificate. Please contact the immigration office to make sure that this exemption applies to you.

  • Residence permit- form (for Köthen only!)

    The provided form is explicitly only intended for the application/extension of your residence permit within the jurisdiction of the District of Anhalt-Bitterfeld/City of Köthen. It therefore only applies to students living in that area or the city of Köthen!!

    • Supporting Documents (Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung (landlord confirmation, checklist, English translation of relevant laws)

    Please fill in the form digitally, print and sign it, then send it via post to the mentioned address.

    (Important! Use a registered letter with a return receipt ("Einschreiben mit Rückschein"), so that you have proof that you actually submitted your documents and they arrived at the foreigner's office.)

    Attention! Factor in the processing time of your application. Therefore submit it at least 4 to 6 weeks BEFORE your visa expires.

  • Freedom of movement (EU-citizens)

    As a student from the EU, you can enter Germany without a visa and you don't need a residence permit - an ID-card from your home country is sufficient.

    Nonetheless, within 3 months of entry you must prove that your entry and residence are legal and that you can take advantage of the right of free movement.
    For the application you must submit:

    •         The completed application for a residence permit
    •         Your current and valid passport
    •         1 current biometric photo (this must not be older than 6 months)
    •         The certificate of enrollment from Anhalt University of Applied Sciences
    •         A bank statement proving that you have enough money to live in Germany
    •         Proof of existing health insurance coverage (for example European Health Insurance Card)

    Submit the application to the respective immigration office.

  • Enrollment at the University

    Step 1:


    Admission at Anhalt University

    Your personal admission letter for Anhalt University (Zulassung) has been issued online for download after your application has been successfully processed. You need to have an admission letter and applicant number (Bewerbungsnummer) for a successful enrollment.

    Step 2:

    Paying semester contribution

    Paying semester contribution (Semesterbeitrag)
    Payment of the semester contribution is compulsory for all students upon enrolment at Anhalt University


    This fee is made up of contributions towards student services (Studentenwerk) (€ 80.00) and

    a voluntary fee for the membership in the student union (Studierendenschaft) (€ 6.00).

    It may be necessary to pay further contributions for your degree program your university, please ask if this applies to you too.


    Step 2a:

    Bank transfer of semester contribution

    Please transfer your contribution of 86€ to the following bank account:


    recipient: Hochschule Anhalt

    bank: Deutsche Bundesbank

    IBAN: DE35 8100 0000 0081 0015 39

    BIC: MARKDEF1810


    Fill reference field of your transfer as follows:

    Application number (Bewerbernummer), Surname (Nachname), First name (Vorname), Study Code (Studiumsabkürzung)


    example: 567891, Smith, Anton, BWL



    Processing (transfer) may take up to 3 working days.

    Only when your money has been received at university, your registration will be continued.


    Step 3:

    Finish enrolment/ get your student ID

    Register for student ID and enrolment papers (Studierendenausweis / Immatrikulationsbescheinigung) in person after your arrival in Köthen.


    In addition to what you have been told to hand in with your admission package, you will need:

    1) Copy of your admission letter (Zulassungsschreiben)

    2) Copy of your passport / national ID (for EU citizens)

    3) Proof of sufficient health insurance check here

    4) Proof of having transferred the semester contribution of € 86.00

    5) Non-EU students: Residence permit (Aufenthaltstitel)

    6) biometric, passport-sized photo (for student ID)


    The enrollment must have been paid by 15. September for the winter semester and 15. March for the summer semester!