Work and Internships

Students thinking about a career in academics are a step ahead with a "HiWi" job (research assistant), for example in the library or by assisting one of the professors. Even as a student employee or intern, they gain work experience and earn money.

There are also job offers outside of the university, which are often used by students.

Note: It is virtually impossible for students to finance their entire living through part-time jobs. There are only a few corresponding offers on the job market for international students in Germany - and those who work too much will get a problem with the residence permit. Take advantage of the lecture-free time and make sure that you are financially secure through scholarships or with the help of your family.

Framework and possibilities for working as an International Student

  • Language Requirements

    Outside the university, typical off-campus student jobs include waiters, fairs, babysitting and courier services. As a rule, employers require B1 language skills in German. This applies especially to job offers outside the university.


  • Conditions of the Residence Permit

    Foreign students are allowed to work alongside their studies. Students from the EU (except Croatia) and the EEA are equal to German students. You have free access to the German job market.

    Students from Croatia and non-EU countries are allowed to work 120 full or 240 half days per year. In addition, employment as a student assistant at the university is allowed, which is not counted towards this limit. For all other activities, a work permit must be requested from the immigration office or the employment office.

    Take the 120-day regulation or 240 half-day regulation seriously! Labor regulations for international students are very strict. For violations you can be expelled!

    Both students from the EU and students from non-EU countries may work a maximum of 20 hours a week during the lecture period. By contrast, there are only a few working-time restrictions during the lecture-free period - see above.

  • Students of the Studienkolleg

    In fact, students of the Studienkolleg are allowed to work only during the holidays.The legal text can be found in the Residence Act, Section 3 (residence for the purpose of education), §16 (study, language courses, school attendance) sentence (3)"The residence permit entitles to employment, which may not exceed a total of 120 days or 240 half days per year, as well as to the exercise of student secondary employment. This shall not apply during the stay to preparatory studies during the first year of residence, except in the holiday season and in the case of a stay referred to in paragraph 1a "

  • Student Assistants and Tutors

    Some students work as a research assistant (colloquially "Hiwi") at the university. They are responsible, for example, for supervising the library, conducting tutorials or researching literature for professors. Hiwi jobs are a good addition to your studies. Anyone who is interested should ask for vacancies in the secretariat of the department and pay attention to notices from the university.

    Frequently, the Student Service Center or the International Office are also looking for committed students.

    Working as a Hiwi is usually not included in the 120 - day rule as part of the work at the university.

  • Jobs Outside of the University

    The regional contact points of the Federal Employment Agency often have job placements for students.

    At large universities there are job offers at the Studentenwerk. Online job boards can be found on the university websites and on the website of the Studentenwerke.

    Sometimes a glance at the bulletin board at the university or in the advertising markets of local and regional newspapers is sufficient.
    You can get help with finding a student job here:

    in Köthen

    Job Agentur Personaldienstleistungen GmbH
    Hallesche Straße 77
    06366 Köthen/ Anhalt

    Jörg Brückner

    03496 40 51 93


    in Dessau

    Hans-Heinen-Straße 39
    06844 Dessau
    Tel: 0340 6614 558


    in Bernburg 

    Agentur für Arbeit Standort Bernburg
    Kalistr. 11
    06406 Bernburg

    0800 4555500



    Contact details and opening hours for the Agentur für Arbeit in Dessau you can find  here.

    Contact details and opening hours for the Agentur für Arbeit in Köthen you can find here.


    Online job boards for internships and part-time jobs are e.g.:

  • Internships

    If a compulsory internship is required in your course of studies, this is not included in the 120-day regulation. Your internship company is not required to pay you for the internship.

    If your internship is a voluntary internship, the company is obliged to pay you the legal minimum wage. In addition, a voluntary internship within the framework of the 120-day rule is counted towards the working hours.

  • Salary and Taxes

    In Germany, there is a minimum wage, which currently amounts to 10,45 Euros per hour (12 Euro ab Oktober 2022). How much you earn, however, depends heavily on your own knowledge, the industry and the regional job market. In cities like Munich and Hamburg, hourly wages are usually higher, but the cost of living is also higher. For university assistants, production assistants in the industry or service staff at trade fairs, the average hourly wage is often slightly higher than the minimum wage.

    Students can do a mini-job and earn up to $ 450 a month without paying taxes. If you regularly earn more than 450 euros, you need a tax number. Then a certain amount will be deducted from your salary every month. Students will receive it back at the end of the year through an income tax return.

    Those who are permanently employed in Germany usually pay social security contributions. These include contributions to health insurance as well as long-term care, pension and unemployment insurance. Anyone who does not work for more than two months at a time or for less than 50 days
    throughout the year does not need to pay any social security contributions. If you are employed for a longer period of time, you have to pay a pension. Students usually pay small amounts - and only if they earn more than 450 euros a month.

  • Attention!

    Jobs that take up more than 20 hours a week not only affect student performance but you also have to pay health, unemployment and long-term care insurance.

    They would also violate the provisions of your residence permit!