Bernburg-Strenzfeld - university location with tradition
Since 1954, education and research have been at home here, in close connection with the farms of the Magdeburger Börde and the fertile agricultural plain in the heart of Saxony-Anhalt. The tradition of research goes back to the century before last.
Predecessor institutions of the Anhalt University of Applied Sciences
1961 - Bernburg University of Applied Sciences (Hochschule für Landwirtschaft Bernburg)
1967 - University of Agricultural and Food Economics (Hochschule für Land- und Nahrungsgüterwirtschaft Bernburg)
1988 - "Thomas Müntzer" University of Agricultural and Food Economics (Hochschule für Land- und Nahrungsgüterwirtschaft „Thomas Müntzer“)
1991 - Anhalt University of Applied Sciences
1998 - Anhalt University of Applied Sciences with locations in Bernburg, Dessau, Köthen
A location with history
Beginnings of Agriculture Research in Bernburg
1845
The first modest beginnings of Agriculture research. Establishment of an experimental garden on 5 acres of leased land by the Agriculture Association in Bernburg.
1880
Foundation of the Ducal Anhalt Experimental Station in Bernburg by the government of the time at the suggestion of the German sugar beet industry to improve beet cultivation. The first director of the facility was Prof. Hermann Hellriegel.
1886
Discovery of nitrogen fixation (ability of peas, beans and other legumes to form a symbiosis with nitrogen-fixing bacteria) by Hermann Hellriegel as a groundbreaking scientific discovery.
1948
Transformation of the Anhalt Experimental Station into the Institute for Plant Breeding and relocation to Bernburg-Strenzfeld.
Development of a location under the direction of Prof. Dr. Fritz Oberdorf
1951
Takeover of the Institute of Plant Breeding by the German Academy of Agricultural Sciences. Construction of a new institute complex with new buildings and greenhouse facilities.
1952
Foundation of a technical school for the training of scientific-technical assistants (until 1968).
1957
Relocation of the Institute of Agricultural Economics from Potsdam-Bornim to Bernburg-Strenzfeld. Start of teaching with university character. Training of organizers and leaders of socialist Agriculture.
1960
Integration of the Institute of Agricultural Economics Neugattersleben and the Institute of Zootechnics Güstrow-Schabernack into the Institute of Agricultural Economics in Bernburg-Strenzfeld. Construction of institute and social buildings in Strenzfeld.
1961
Transformation of the Institute of Agricultural Economics into the Bernburg University of Agriculture. With its foundation, the institution was granted the right to award doctorates and habilitations. The training of graduate farmers and graduate gardeners began in a 2.5-year combined course of study. The first rector was Prof. Dr. Fritz Oberdorf.
1967
Restructuring of the university. In addition to the name University of Agriculture and Food Economics, the institution was given a clear profile in agricultural economics and at the same time focused on the area of food economics. The training now took place in a 2.5-year on-campus program and ended with the professional title of Diplom-Agraringenieurökonom. Further education was established as an equal profile of the university.
1969
The Institute for Plant Breeding was transformed into the Institute for Cereal Research Bernburg-Hadmersleben.
1970
Affiliation of an organizational and computer center to the university. Establishment of a data storage facility for Agriculture and takeover of accounting for agricultural and food companies in the former GDR.
1981
Establishment of a new 4-year on-campus program in agricultural economics. This was followed by an analogous degree program in Business Studies in the Food Industry. The admission requirements were the Abitur and a relevant professional qualification. The degree was in agricultural economics.
1988
The university was renamed the "Thomas Müntzer" University of Agricultural and Food Economics.
Restructuring of teaching and research in Bernburg-Strenzfeld as a result of political change
1990
Takeover of the university and the institute in Strenzfeld by the newly formed state of Saxony-Anhalt. With the political change, a restructuring of agricultural research and student education began. New training documents and teaching content were developed in the newly formed institutes.
Foundation of Anhaltische Pflanzenzucht GmbH Bernburg (APZ) from the breeding departments of the Institute of Cereal Research (variety rights, buildings and machinery were acquired by KWS AG Einbeck). Construction of the KWS maize breeding station and the Lochow-Petkus GmbH cereal breeding station at the site.
1991
Foundation of the Anhalt University of Applied Sciences with campuses in Bernburg, Dessau and Köthen.
Establishment of the Departments of Agriculture, Ecotrophology and Landscape Development and Economics at the Bernburg site of Anhalt University of Applied Sciences.
1992
Foundation of the Teaching and Research Institute for Arable Farming and Crop Production (LVA) with a teaching and research farm as the successor to the Institute for Cereal Research.
1998
The Anhalt University of Applied Sciences is renamed the Anhalt University of Applied Sciences.
2001
Takeover of the Teaching and Research Institute for Arable Farming and Crop Production into the newly founded Saxony-Anhalt State Institute for Agriculture and Horticulture (LLG) with headquarters in Bernburg-Strenzfeld.
2010
Sale of the LLG's teaching and experimental property to the German Agriculture Society (DLG).
Foundation of the International Plant Production Center (IPZ) of the German Agricultural Society (DLG) at the Strenzfeld site.
1935
Development of the "Strenzer Flur" by building an air base for the Reich Aviation Ministry
1936
Lease of a large part of the site to the aircraft manufacturer Junkers Flugzeug- und Motorenwerke (JFM) Dessau - Bernburg branch for aircraft production. Fighter planes are assembled and flown in.
1945
Extensive dismantling and demolition work on the former air base after the end of the war